[SR-Users] Presence, RLS, and NAT Traversal

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 22:27:57 CET 2011

Hello,

can you send the log messages with debug=3 and ngrep of the SIP traffic
on all interfaces (including loopback) for such case (from the initial
subscribe, ideally sent for a resource list with one or two entries so
that there are not so many requests flowing around)? It will help to
understand and troubleshoot.

Thanks,
Daniel

On 3/25/11 9:57 PM, Peter Dunkley wrote:
> Hi Juha,
>
> My configuration is trying to achieve exactly what you suggest.
>
> The Kamailio presence and RLS modules send NOTIFYs using the route-set
> established by the SUBSCRIBE.  This means that if I call
> add_contact_alias() and just pass the SUBSCRIBE to the module the NOTIFY
> will use that contact address as a request URI but the NOTIFY will not go
> back through the Kamailio route processing.  Because it doesn't go back
> through the route processing handle_ruri_alias() is never called for it.
> The end result is that Kamailio attempts to route the NOTIFY to my private
> IP and fails.
>
> My forwarding (looping) the SUBSCRIBE back to myself once forces NOTIFY
> requests from the presence and RLS modules to go through the Kamailio
> routing logic.  This means that handle_ruri_alias() gets called and the
> request URIs of the NOTIFY (correctly) contain my private IP but the
> requests are (correctly) routed to my NAT devices public IP.
>
> As I said, this works for the presence.winfo NOTIFY from presence and the
> first presence NOTIFY sent directly from RLS.  The problem is that there
> seems to be a problem with the parsing of this forwarded SUBSCRIBE because
> rls_handle_subscribe() doesn't work.  The RLS module never sends any
> SUBSCRIBEs for the contacts in my resource list.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter
>

>> peter,
>>
>> i don't have experience with k rls module, but in my environment if
>> initial subscribe comes from behind nat, i just call add_contact_alias
>> and add a nat param to r-r header for in-dialog requests.  notifys from
>> rls server then contain ;alias param in request uri and the nat param in
>> route header.  based on these sip proxy is able to get thee get notifys
>> to the uas behind nat.
>>
>> -- juha

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
http://www.asipto.com