[SR-Users] RLS server as SUBSCRIBE proxy?

Fri Jan 7 21:58:01 CET 2011

Jeremya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My situation is that I have a number of SIP end points (server) that
> support SUBSCRIBE method on various resources they hold. Primarily these
> are dialog resources, but include arbitrary other resources with custom
> MIME types.
>
> I also have a large number of SIP end-points (clients) that use
> SUBSCRIBE to resources held by these end-points. Some of these
> end-points are standard phones (SPA-962) monitoring dialog state. Other
> end points are custom clients that monitor a variety of custom resources
> and MIME types.
>
> I have got to the point where the number of SUBSCRIBE clients is making
> it impractical for the SUBSCRIBE sources to support them.

Why? What it your problem? To many active subscriptions on the servers?

> I want to make a SUBSCRIBE proxy server that makes arbitrary SUBSCRIBE
> requests to my SIP end points (server) and in turn accepts SUBSCRIBE
> requests from my consumer SIP clients (Phones etc). In effect the server
> would aggregate SUBSCRIBE requests into a single SUBSCRIBE to a target
> resource.

So, instead of A subscribing to X at the server and B subscribing X at
the server, you want Kamailio to "intercept" this subscription and
instead Kamailio is only making a single subscription to the server
which holds the data of X?

> Ideally the SUBSCRIPTION would be dynamic, generated by the SUBSCRIBE
> requests from the SIP phones and other clients, but this can be static.

I think the resources for the ougoing subscription would be available
inside the modules (pua module) but I think another module would be
needed which does the aggregation.

> I've read the documentation for the RLS module in Kamailio but I can't
> actually figure out what it does. It may do what I want (if only in some
> database mode) but I'd appreciate advice as to whether to pursue this as
> an option or go to plan-B

RLS module implements resource list subscriptions: E.g. instead of A
subscrbing to X, Y and Z A has only a single subscription to "foobar"
and the RLS module will extend this single subscription into 3
subscription. (thus decreasing the load on the client, but not on the
presence server).

What is plan-B?

regards
klaus