[SR-Users] kamailio logging

Timo Reimann timo.reimann at 1und1.de
Mon Jan 3 11:08:22 CET 2011

On 02.01.2011 20:48, Noa Resare wrote:
> Is there a way to get a sensible amount of logging done from kamailio?
>
> Being new to the VoIP space (but with plenty of experience with i.e. web
> and email servers) I tried to get a running system by installing the
> kamailio package and starting up, trying to get it to behave by looking
> at log output. I use the blink SIP client in OSX, that has a SIP data
> dump log view and from that I can deduce that the server returns
> "SIP/2.0 483 Too Many Hops", however there is nothing helpful in the
> server logs.
>
> If I set debug=2 i get nothing useful, and if I set debug=3 I get insane
> amounts of logging, thousands of lines per connection attempt. Finding
> something meaningful in there seems like a herculean task.

I agree with you that debug level 3+ is not for the faint of heart due
to the fact that every single module turns very verbose at these levels.
What I'd found really useful to have is module- and core-specific log
switching; that is, be able to set debug levels on a per-module basis in
addition to turning it on and off in the Kamailio core. That would
surely ease finding issues when you know that a problem is likely
related to a specific (set of) module(s), especially in a high-load
productive environment.

Not sure about the feasibility of such a change and possible
implications to overall runtime but I suppose it could be done in a
performance-friendly fashion.

Cheers,

--Timo