[SR-Users] openSIPS vs Kamailio vs SIP-Router

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 23:25:35 CEST 2011

Hello,

first just some important clarifications regarding the origin. The
__first ever__ project in this series was SIP Express Router (aka SER),
developed from 2001 inside FhG Fokus Institute, in Berlin, Germany -- as
a matter of fact we celebrate 10 years very soon:
http://sip-router.org/10-years-ser/.

All the other projects with different names are forks (or were forks
since Kamailio and SER are again the same). Hopefully, a diagram that I
made will help you get properly the evolution over the time, see second
slide in this presentation: http://asipto.com/u/42

OpenSER was started as a fork of SER in 2005. Kamailio was chosen as the
new name of OpenSER in July 2008 due to trademark issue, days after some
guys decided to fork and created the other project -- how and why is
history by now and I don't want to get into it (web site on
sourceforge.net (see date of registration) or wikipedia for openser show
the markers of the true timelines).

Regarding the present, Kamailio and SER are the two SIP server
applications released from the same source code -- there are two since
during the 3 years of parallel development (2005-2008) each one built
different database structures to keep user profiles and routing data.
Because of that you will see some modules with same name in folders
modules_k/ and modules_s/. Packaging Kamailio or SER will select only
one of the duplicated modules, but when building from sources all of
them are present. The development portal (hosting the source code GIT
repository, bug tracker, mailing lists, a.s.o.) is sip-router.org

The development is done by the same group of people (since 2008, Kamailo
and SER devels are one team), quite large and expanding right now (three
new in the past months), all working on the same code base, each
contributing to own areas of interest.

By the fact of sharing many developers, I can add that our eco-system
includes also the OpenIMSCore project (an open source IMS prototyping
system - http://www.openimscore.org - currently integrated in main GIT
repository) and SIP Express Media Server (aka SEMS, an open source SIP
B2BUA/Media Server - http://www.iptel.org/sems).

Other than that, you can figure out yourself our evolution in the past
years reading the release notes of versions 1.5.x, 3.0.x and 3.1.x, the
next one 3.2.0 to be done soon:
   * http://sip-router.org/wiki/features/new-in-devel
   * http://www.kamailio.org/w/kamailio-openser-v3.1.0-release-notes/
   * http://www.kamailio.org/w/kamailio-openser-v3.0.0-release-notes/
   * http://www.kamailio.org/w/kamailio-openser-v1.5.0-release-notes/

Last I want to add is that with Kamailio we have a clear release policy,
packaging new stable branches every 8-10 months in average, while SER is
not that much into packaging lately.

Kamailio Advanced Training, Oct 10-13, Berlin: http://asipto.com/u/kat