[SR-Users] High performance routing options

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Mon Sep 6 17:33:36 CEST 2010

On Monday 06 September 2010, anthony thomas wrote:
> We are looking at offloading routing logic out of our existing softswitch
> using openser as an external redirect server. Our routing logic is not
> terribly complicated and I think both carrierroute and LCR modules would
> be able to handle it but we have a pretty large route list table with
> around 30 million records (our routing table is 300k codes but keep
> different tables per client), 25-30 calls per sec would be enough.
>
> From a performance point of view, what would be the best bet within both
> modules? also, are both modules actively maintained?

Hi Anthony,

both modules are actively maintained, in the case of cr this is done from us.
30 Million records is indeed a bit larger.. For cr the biggest usage i heard
was something like 1 Million routing rules in one instance.

Have you maybe also thought about using some database which supports proper
prefix matching (i think postgres is able to do this) with some queries in the
script instead of a custom module?

If you don't want to trust a database in this regards, there is also the pdb
module available which supports huge data sets for prefix matching with a
custom server. With the included data "compiler" you can also do prefix
optimisation to save memory, its able to store a number portability database
for a country like germany in a few hundreds MB of RAM.

Cheers,

Henning