[SR-Users] provoke delay?

marius zbihlei marius.zbihlei at 1and1.ro
Tue Oct 26 16:22:10 CEST 2010

On 10/26/2010 05:09 PM, Alex Balashov wrote:
> Pike or ratelimit modules may facilitate this; otherwise, no.
>

> --
> Alex Balashov - Principal
> Evariste Systems LLC
> 1170 Peachtree Street
> 12th Floor, Suite 1200
> Atlanta, GA 30309
> Tel: +1-678-954-0670
> Fax: +1-404-961-1892
> Web: http://www.evaristesys.com/
>
> On Oct 26, 2010, at 9:55 AM, "Nicolas Rüger"<NicolasRueger at gmx.de>
> wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> is there a mechanism to provoke a DELAY for certain incoming INVITES
>> before passing them to the callee???

Hello, It is not a good design practice to do it synchronously, mainly
because the worker process will remain blocked for 30s . Imagine an
attacker sending 30 requests and DoS the whole server , because of the
limited number of worker process (not to mention that 30s delay means
retrasmits from the TM layer- so these need to be handled by tm before
the "sleep").

Anyway I wouldn't recommend a design like this.  As others suggested
pike and ratelimite (mostly ratelimit) will allow you to drop calls from
attackers. You could add a Retry-After header so to inform a normal UA
to retry the request after a number of seconds.

Marius