[SR-Users] [OT] Fwd: [dispatch] proposed SIXPAC charter

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Thu Oct 21 18:20:36 CEST 2010

2010/10/21 Daniel-Constantin Mierla <miconda at gmail.com>:
> Back to first paragraph. Are XMPP, MSN, Skype doing processing to these
> documents, or are they just pure storage systems for them with a white/black
> list access policy? In other words, I can publish my vcard and then tell the
> server if X ask for it, don't send my email address, just my web site
> address?

In both XMPP and MSN the avatar and vcard are retrieved by a watcher
from the server if the watched gives the watcher permissions, so the
server *does* interpret the permissions rules in behalf of the user.
How to achieve this logic in a non-centralized architecture? I cannot
imagine it.

So, if we assume that the "server" must be active part on the
subscription (it must interpret permissions and know about
subscriptions) then, why to implement in other way (direct/end-to-end
presence) presence status retrieval when the watched user is online?
two mechanisms?

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc at aliax.net>