[SR-Users] [OT] Fwd: [dispatch] proposed SIXPAC charter

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 17:37:50 CEST 2010

On 10/21/10 4:15 PM, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
> [...]
>>> And worse: Not all the information a watcher wants to retrieves
>>> depends on the watched user itself. The avatar, the user profile (a
>>> vCard) is retrieved from the server (this is true in XMPP, MSN,
>>> Skype....), so "distribute presence" cannot work here. So, should we
>>> implement two mechanims for retrieving buddy's information (one for
>>> realtime presence status and other for permanent information stored in
>>> the server? I don't think this is a good design.
>> I will comment separately later, this is getting big.
> There is a lot to discuss about it, even more than the sum of RFC's
> about SIMPLE XD
The problem with specs is like in life with ideas. Each of us has many
ideas but either they prove unrealistics on a second thought or even
they seem good sometime there is no enough time to implement all.

These specs are like ideas written down and published.

Back to first paragraph. Are XMPP, MSN, Skype doing processing to these
documents, or are they just pure storage systems for them with a
white/black list access policy? In other words, I can publish my vcard
and then tell the server if X ask for it, don't send my email address,
just my web site address?

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
http://www.asipto.com