[SR-Users] Issue with starting SER

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul andrei at iptel.org
Fri May 28 22:44:48 CEST 2010

On May 28, 2010 at 16:05, Jesse B Scites <jbscites at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not sure if this mailing list is for any type of product support, but I
> am at a loss as how to continue, so any type of guidance would be
> appreciated.

It's the right mailing list.

> I am new to using SER, however I downloaded the source baseline, then made
> it, etc. according to the "Getting Started" guide.  The very basic
> configuration (minus MySQL, etc.) seemed to build fine and all binaries, the
> ser.cfg file, etc. were installed to the correct locations.  Since I just
> wanted to start using a basic configuration, I chose to use the "Hello
> World" configuration file as outlined in the guide, so I swapped it out with
> the default one.  As the super user, I ran >>ser -V and received the
> expected version feedback as listed within the "Getting Started" guide.
> However, when I tried to start SER normally with >>ser I received the
> following error:

What version of ser are you using?

> 0(6989) parse error (11,1-5): syntax error
>
> 0(6989) parse error (11,1-5):
>
> ERROR: bad config file (2 errors)

Looking at the Hello Word config from
http://siprouter.teigre.com/doc/gettingstarted/ch06.html#id2654624
it seems the line in question is
fifo="/tmp/ser_fifo".

This option disappeared in newer ser versions, so my guess is that you
are using the hello word config (made I think for ser 0.9.x) with a
newer ser (2.1?).

The config could be easily adapted to a newer ser version
(at first sight: remove or comment out the fifo line and change
 msg:len > max_len to msg:len > 4096).
However I would recommend to go directly to sip-router 3.0
(which is more or less ser 3.0) and use sip-router-basic.cfg as a starting
point (either use git, see
http://sip-router.org/wiki/git/sip-router-repository
or download the latest tarball from
http://sip-router.org/tarballs/sr/sr_3.0/).