[SR-Users] Issue with starting SER

Jesse B Scites jbscites at gmail.com
Fri May 28 22:05:11 CEST 2010

I am not sure if this mailing list is for any type of product support, but I
am at a loss as how to continue, so any type of guidance would be
appreciated.

I am new to using SER, however I downloaded the source baseline, then made
it, etc. according to the "Getting Started" guide.  The very basic
configuration (minus MySQL, etc.) seemed to build fine and all binaries, the
ser.cfg file, etc. were installed to the correct locations.  Since I just
wanted to start using a basic configuration, I chose to use the "Hello
World" configuration file as outlined in the guide, so I swapped it out with
the default one.  As the super user, I ran >>ser -V and received the
expected version feedback as listed within the "Getting Started" guide.
However, when I tried to start SER normally with >>ser I received the
following error:

0(6989) parse error (11,1-5): syntax error

0(6989) parse error (11,1-5):

ERROR: bad config file (2 errors)

So I went back and checked the "Hello World" config file and I could find no
syntax errors since the exact replica can be compared to the example in the
"Getting Started" guide.  So I swapped back in the original ser.cfg file and
I still got errors.  Of course I also got additional errors with that file
since I did not have MySQL, etc configured.

So I guess my question would be, what may be causing SER to error out on the
config file (I assume it means there is some issue with parsing out the
contents of the ser.cfg file).

I am using Fedora 11 on an i386 platform with gcc 4.4.1, bison 2.4.1, flex
and all other needed dependencies listed within the INSTALL file.

Regards,

Jesse Scites