[Kamailio-Users] Version 3

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 20:44:28 CEST 2010

Hi Andreas,

On 3/31/10 4:29 PM, Andreas Heise wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
> thanks for the update, but seems to be that many users wait for
> 3.1 which was announced
> as the first real sip-router release and is again a major change which
> need effort to validate.

I think it was a mistake in communication with the achievements for 3.0
-- we have to work on and fixed it.

When we met in Karlsruhe, Nov 2008, we kind of agreed as plan go on to
make the core and tm work with kamailio modules or ser modules. The
option would have been either at compile time or at startup.

However, we succeeded to go one step further and actually be able to run
mixed modules at the same time. So we are now, considering the initial
goals, pretty much the 3.1:

- no need to compile with different flags to run one or the other type
of modules
- no need to configure what type of modules are running

Simply you can mix them, it works.

I agree that for 3.1 we will be better from integration point of view,
in regards to less duplicated modules (hopefully sl, domain, pdt, ...
will be merged). However some of the modules will stay as they are now
for longer time. Here are auth_db, usrloc, and the other modules that
differ as backend database structure (e.g., user profiles tables,
location). There are public (siremis, serweb) and private tools,
povisioning and monitoring systems that cannot be dropped easily.

So we will have flavours packaging for a while. Otherwise, 3.1 won't
have other integration work for core and tm, that work is finished. What
comes in those parts of code for 3.1 are pure brand new features.

Kamailio 3.0 just enables some features by default, sets different
default behavior which can be tuned by parameters anyhow. Here I tried
to collect more details lately:
http://sip-router.org/releases/
http://sip-router.org/kamailio-release/

There is no patch that has to be applied in kamailio 3.0 branch order to
compile ser flavour out of it.
> Is there already a target date proposed for 3.1?

Not clearly decided, but the usual 6-8 months is still in place, that
means testing should start beginning of summer, which will result in
release maybe beginning of autumn (not to do it from the beach :-) in
vacation).