[SR-Users] some issues with database initialization (berkeley/txt)

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 11:26:58 CET 2010

Hello,

On 12/26/10 1:46 PM, Noa Resare wrote:
> Hello Friends,
>
> I thought I'd set up a SIP server during the holidays and kamailio
> seemed like a good choice. Since my setup won't be handling large
> amounts of users, a file based backend seemed like a good choice.
> Since I didn't find any "new users, please start with these steps"
> instruction on the web page I just installed the base package for
> Debian squeeze along with kamailio-berkeley-modules and proceded to
> try to configure the database.
>
> I set DBENGINE=DB_BERKELEY in /etc/kamailio/kamctlrc and ran 'kamdbctl
> create', which fails with this message:
>
> root at uma:/home/noa# kamdbctl create
> db4.6_load: /usr/share/kamailio//db_berkeley/kamailio/lcr_gw: reopen:
> No such file or directory
> ERROR: Creating standard tables failed!
>
> I tried DBENGINE=DBTEXT, and the command failed similarly:
>
> INFO: creating DBTEXT tables at: /usr/local/etc/kamailio/dbtext ...
> cp: cannot stat `/usr/share/kamailio//dbtext/kamailio/lcr_gw': No such
> file or directory
> ERROR: Creating core tables failed!

the LCR module got refurbished and changed completely the database
structure, but the scripts to create the tables for db_text and
db_berkeley engines seem to be not maintained in this case.

> Based on this I have a few questions:
>
> 1) Is there a text somewhere outlining the recommended steps to get a
> basic server going using the .deb packages?

Just set your apt sources.list accordingly:
http://www.kamailio.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/packages:debs

Then install the packages you want to use.

There is a tutorial to install from source, but if you skip first part
about compilation & install, and then work with new paths for files
(configs and binaries are in /etc/kamailio and /usr/sbin when installing
from debs), it should guide you pretty easy steps to get it work:
http://www.kamailio.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/install:kamailio-3.1.x-from-git

> 2) What is the recommended backend for the least amount of install
> time trouble?

MySQL is the most used and for sure no troubles in handling db creation.
Postgres should be fine as well.

--
Daniel-Constantin Mierla
Kamailio (OpenSER) Advanced Training