[SR-Users] 503 Server error response for REGISTER request (Asterisk v1.6.0.5)

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 23:14:36 CET 2010

Hello,

On 12/16/10 6:32 PM, Vikram Ragukumar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had posted this question earlier on asterisk-users, but didn't
> receive any reply, so I'm posting on sr-users in the hope that someone
> can provide guidance on how to debug this problem.
>
> Our setup involves a Sip softphone registering with a fresh install of
> Asterisk v1.6.0.5 through an outbound proxy (Kamailio v3.1.1).
>
> We observe that about 80% of the time, immediately after startup of the
> softphone, when the softphone sends a REGISTER message, Asterisk
> replies with a "503 Server error". However, subsequent REGISTER
> messages are replied to appropriately (with a 401 Unauthorized).
>
> There are very few devices (under 5) registered with Asterisk, so this
> is not an overload issue.
>
> Please find attached a SIP trace for device registration.
>
> - What might cause this behavior in Asterisk ?
> - Are there any config file parameters that require to be changed ?
> - Would it help to see any other specific logs, if so which ones ?
you should set sip debug on for asterisk in order to get more verbose
output related to the 503 case. I couldn't spot something wrong for
register that got 503. Next ones have two contact headers, but that is
fine in SIP.

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
Kamailio (OpenSER) Advanced Training
Jan 24-26, 2011, Irvine, CA, USA