[SR-Users] 503 Server error response for REGISTER request (Asterisk v1.6.0.5)

Vikram Ragukumar vragukumar at signalogic.com
Thu Dec 16 18:32:10 CET 2010

Hello,

I had posted this question earlier on asterisk-users, but didn't receive
any reply, so I'm posting on sr-users in the hope that someone can
provide guidance on how to debug this problem.

Our setup involves a Sip softphone registering with a fresh install of
Asterisk v1.6.0.5 through an outbound proxy (Kamailio v3.1.1).

We observe that about 80% of the time, immediately after startup of the
softphone, when the softphone sends a REGISTER message, Asterisk replies
with a "503 Server error". However, subsequent REGISTER messages are
replied to appropriately (with a 401 Unauthorized).

There are very few devices (under 5) registered with Asterisk, so this
is not an overload issue.

Please find attached a SIP trace for device registration.

- What might cause this behavior in Asterisk ?
- Are there any config file parameters that require to be changed ?
- Would it help to see any other specific logs, if so which ones ?

Thanks and Regards,
Vikram.