[SR-Users] TCP Overload Congestion

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 07:37:42 CET 2010

Hello,

On 12/16/10 12:28 AM, Jijo wrote:
> Hi Klaus,
>
> Thanks for your help..I have improved the DB lockups which basically
> improved by 10%.
>
> We are running kamailio on IBM 3550 with 100 tcp children. So i hope
> the no of children would be sufficient to make kamailio faster.. Will
> there be any possibility to improve performance by increasing the child?.
> In my case always the TCP connection between Proxy and SIP server is
> congested as i believe main process assign child per socket, so a
> single child will be reading the message and processing sequentially
> for the tcp socket between proxy and sipserver unitl EOF. In this case
> there is no EOF as we are doing load test and always there is message
> on that socket.
>
> We use lots of avp functions, do you think that reduce the performance?
if the operations are with avps in memory, there should be no noticeable
performance penalty.

Back to original issue - if you have some lengthily operations that have
to be applied to your sip traffic and you get congestion because of
that, the solution is to use a kamailio as load balancer in front of a
farm of proxy doing the actual processing. For a very busy tcp
connection where you have mixed messages (for fast and slow processing),
you may try as solution to send over UDP to same instance (loopback) or
to the farm of sip proxies.

> Thanks
> Jijo
>
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 2:17 AM, Klaus Darilion
> <klaus.mailinglists at pernau.at <mailto:klaus.mailinglists at pernau.at>>
> wrote:
>

>     Am 09.12.2010 18:55, schrieb Jijo:
>
>         Hi Andrei,
>
>         I'm observing TCP Recv buffer getting full when we are doing a
>         load run
>         (30cps) on Proxy with TCP. Basically the congestion is
>         happening on the
>         TCP connection from SIP Server to Proxy. I beleive kamailio
>          is not
>         processing the message fast enough, due to this congestion is
>         occuring.
>         Did anyone observe this behavior? How do we resolve it?
>

>     Make Kamailio faster. find out why it is not able to process the
>     messages fast enough. Kamailio processes block during message
>     processing. Thus, for example if you are doing slow database
>     lookups then Kamailio is also slow. You can try to increase the
>     number of the TCP worker processes (tcp_children=20) and make sure
>     that syslog logging is asynchronous (syslogd.conf)
>
>     regards
>     Klaus

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
Kamailio (OpenSER) Advanced Training