[SR-Users] using forward() with variables

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 11:14:16 CET 2010

On 12/2/10 4:57 PM, Pan B. Christensen wrote:
> Hello,
> We are running Kamailio 1.5.
> I'm trying to use the forward() function with a variable like this:
>     forward($shv(voip1-edge1));
> That fails to parse.
> I then tried this, which I thought would fail:
>     forward("$shv(voip1-edge1)");
> That parsed correctly, but it then failed to resolve the domain
> '$shv(voip1-edge1)' as expected. Why can this function not use variables?
> I tried to make a workaround by doing this:
>     $du=$ru;
>     $dd=$shv(voip1-edge1);
>     forward();
> That also failed. Why is $du writable but $dd is not?
> I then made a fourth attempt, which seems to work:
>     $du="sip:" + $shv(voip1-edge1);
>     forward();
indeed, the last version is the one that works.

forward() does not take dynamic parameters, only static string values.
$dd is not writable because is just part of $du which you can set like
you did. $du refers to outbound proxy address (destination uri) and
there matters only host, port and transport, all the other attributes in
$du have no relevance.

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
Kamailio (OpenSER) Advanced Training
Jan 24-26, 2011, Irvine, CA, USA