[SR-Users] SIP routing problem when kamailio uses 2 interfaces

Thu Aug 26 09:17:04 CEST 2010

I think you have multiple issues:

(not sure if I am right as I have to guess your network setup)

1. If Kamailio is an Application Layer Gateway between the public and
the internal network, then of course Asterisk should listen only on the
internal interface. Thus in sip.conf add:

   udpbindaddr = internal.ip.add.ress

Further you can tweak if Asterisk should use internal or public IP
addresses inside the SIP message headers by playing around with
   externip = ...
   localnet = ...

2. Regardless of the Via header inserted by Kamailio Asterisk should
respond to the IP address from which Kamailio sent the request. Thus I
guess Kamailio sent the request with the public IP address as source IP.

To have Kamailio acting correctly you have to make sure that Kamailio is
listening on both interfaces
(http://sip-router.org/wiki/cookbooks/core-cookbook/devel#listen):

   listen=udp:public.ip.add.ress:5060
   listen=udp:internal.ip.add.ress:5060

and activate multihoming feature of Kamailio to have proper IP addresses
in Via and Record-Route headers
(http://sip-router.org/wiki/cookbooks/core-cookbook/devel#mhomed)

   mhomed=1

regards