[SR-Users] Looking for documentation with SER 2.0

Greger Viken Teigre gregert at teigre.com
Fri Nov 27 18:51:47 CET 2009

AFAIK, no one is working on a Getting Started for sip-router 3.0 (nor
ser 2.0 for that sake).  Such a guide should probably be written around
the example config that comes with the code. Contrary to SER, this
config is not only working, but a pretty good best practice config for
the common set of functionality most people need.
If somebody would like to give a go at it, I'll be happy to provide
guidance. However, I don't currently have the cycles to do it myself.
I think I would have tried a different approach this time, not a
line-by-line analysis, but rather a more high-level description and
include the more operational aspects as well. The line-by-line
documentation should really be a part of the config itself.

I did an attempt at building a framework for maintaining a
self-documenting config using m4.  It became a bit complex as what I
created was a modular build system for maintaining configs in smaller
.m4 files where multiple versions of the same config could be built (for
example different servers, debug versions, etc). I then built the
Getting Started config into the framework (so you could just re-use the
pieces you wanted), and finally I added the documentation inline so that
the xml doc could be auto-generated for inclusion in the Getting Started
guide.

I attempted to sell the idea that the example config for SER 2.0 could
be maintained the same, modular, self-documenting way, but there was no
interest.

I believe the config buildsystem has been removed from sip-router code tree.
g-)