[SR-Users] sip-router licensing and commercial usage

Victor Pascual Ávila victor.pascual.avila at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 11:02:03 CEST 2009

Hi Pascal,
IANAL, but following is my understanding. Please folks, correct me if I'm wrong.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Pascal Maugeri<pascal.maugeri at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have read carefully the licensing page of sip-router (
> http://sip-router.org/licensing/ ) and I still have some doubts.
>
> So, as an excuse to start my first discussion in this forum, here is my
> two-fold question:
>
> a) my company wants to sell a SIP based platform to its customers. The
> solution includes, hardware, some proprietary applications and a SIP
> application using sip-router as a SIP proxy/Registrar
>
> b) my company wants to provide the same service in an ASP model.
>
> In both cases, I would like to understand what my company should pay to
> sip-router "owners" if there is any royalty to be paid and what are the
> consequences to the license and my company source code.

You are free to use SR for commercial use (provide service with it or
even embed it in a product).

> In both cases, I would like to understand
>
> 1) If my company must pay any royalty or other cost to the SIP-Router
> "owners"
>
> 2) If the code developed by my company on top of SIP-Router must also be
> licensed under the same SIP-Router licence "

As far as I understand:
- code derived from GPL, must be GPL (you can't change it and sell it
without supplying the source-- you have copyright for your new code)
- code derived from BSD, could be propietary

Victor Pascual Ávila