[Kamailio-Users] Kamailio Newb questions

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 13:50:27 CET 2009

Hi Alex,

On 02/26/2009 02:36 PM, Alex Balashov wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> I hate to open up an old and tired can of worms, but are there any
> recent performance tests

never compared the two of them. I used only rtpproxy so far and I was
very happy, mainly regarding the development and community support.
mediaproxy is in first place python, which slower than native C.
>  that indicate whether rtpproxy or Mediaproxy
> 2.0 scales better?  Mediaproxy 2.0 uses API calls into the kernel's IP
> forwarding subsystem now so I wonder if it can do better than rtpproxy
> running in userspace.

Sometimes I prefer not to mess up with the kernel, I rather have an
application crashed and restarted by monit or similar tool, than a
kernel panic and full system crash. I do not know if using just kernel
space is much faster as I haven't tested, however, there is a C
alternative in SER (to be available soon via the http://sip-router.org
project) for rtp relaying via kernel:
http://cvs.berlios.de/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/ser/sip_router/modules/iptrtpproxy/

I would bet on it if I would get into rtpproxy limitations, so far
didn't happened.

RTPProxy has the advantage of a public source repository, which is more
convenient for me to deal with, as opposite to tarballs downloads. With
a public repository I can track changes, report and fix issues easier.

To conclude, it might be just a matter of choice for rtp relay, but the
nathelper module is much flexible and supported by many core developers
of kamailio and ser.

> Like you, I much prefer rtpproxy - it's so much simpler and more
> flexible to deal with.
>
> Just wondering.
>
> -- Alex
>
> Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> On 02/26/2009 12:59 AM, carl Lougher wrote:
>>
>>> Howdy,
>>> I'm trying to remove the media/rtp streams from an asterisk server for natted users so would like to know if this is possible with kamailio.
>>>

>> yes it is possible. nathelper+rtpproxy is the option I use and prefer
>> because of flexibility and performances. You can see an example at:
>> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Kamailio+1.5.x+and+RTPProxy
>>

>>> Qu's:
>>> What is the best option?
>>> rtpproxy/mediaproxy?
>>> nathelper?
>>>
>>> If i use kamailio to achieve this does it mean that i still have to carry the rtp streams through the kamailio server instead?
>>>

>> through the rtpproxy server, which can be located on same or different
>> machine than kamailio.
>>

>>> Also will i need to change the logon info for the clients so they now logon to kamailio then i just point registrar to asterisk?
>>>
>>> Can i use kamailio for sip trunks to asterisk and carry rtp and natted clients media streams rather than register to asterisk?
>>>

>> Yes, you can register to kamailio, see registrar and usrloc modules.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Daniel
>>

>>> Many thanks,
>>> Taff..