[Kamailio-Users] Load Balancing Asterisk using Kamailio

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 12:44:42 CEST 2009

Hello,

On 04/27/2009 05:17 PM, Kurt Weasel wrote:
> Hi, sorry forgot to cc before.
> I have more questions regarding my load balancing setup.
>
> 1. Since the dial plan is configured exactly on Asterisk (at
> etc/asterisk/sip.conf and /etc/asterisk/extension.conf), do we need to
> enable MySQL for Kamailio installation?
If you store the load balancing list in database, then you need the
database storage. Alternative is to use plain text file.

> Or the default installation configuration will do (without additional
> dialplan or MySQL setting)? My idea is only using Kamailio as pure
> load balancer so we hope to do this as simple as possible without
> degrading the function.
>
> 2. I assume using Kamailio dispatcher module will forward some of the
> users to asterik server 1 and some of them to asterisk server 2. Then
> if user A is registered with Asterisk server 1 and user B is
> registered with Asterisk server 2, can user A call user B? Without
> Kamailio, the answer is no since they are in different Asterisk
> server. With Kamailio, I am expecting both user A and B can call each
> other although they are registered with different servers. Is my
> configuration enough to achieve this function? Or do we need some
> additional setup for this?
You can achieve this with proper routing logic in the config. You need
to have a rule for partitioning the users and then you know where each
user is registered and direct the calls for him to the right asterisk.

> Thanks again.
>
> Best Regards,
> Kurt
>
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 8:02 PM, Daniel-Constantin Mierla
> <miconda at gmail.com <mailto:miconda at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>

>     On 04/27/2009 07:10 AM, Kurt Weasel wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         I searched around the web to load balance asterisk servers and
>         found Kamailio for possible solution. Let's say I have two
>         identical asterisk servers with same dialplan and
>         configuration and I want both servers look like they have same
>         IP address from clients. Based on my understanding, we need 1
>         Kamailio as load balancer and 2 Asterisk servers as the real
>         servers. Let's say the setup is :
>
>         Kamailio load balancer 192.168.2.1
>         Asterisk Server #1 192.168.2.2
>         Asterisk Server #2 192.168.2.3
>
>         My question is, X-Lite softphone Configuration should be set
>         to domain 192.168.2.1, right?
>
>         I also want to know the step by step configuration to set
>         kamailio as load balancer. I have not used Kamailio before.
>         However after searching the documentation, the step (based on
>         my understanding) is somewhat like this :
>
>         1. Install Kamailio. I will use the step by step here :
>         http://kamailio.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/install:kamailio-1.5.x-from-svn
>
>         2. Then, using dipatcher module, I will configure it using
>         this guide here :
>         http://kamailio.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/asterisk:load-balancing-and-ha
>         Then modify the dispatcher.list file to match the IP address
>         of my asterisk servers :
>
>         /1 sip:192.168.2.2:5060 <http://192.168.2.2:5060>
>         <http://192.168.2.2:5060>
>         1 sip:192.168.2.3:5060 <http://192.168.2.3:5060>
>         <http://192.168.2.3:5060>/
>

>         Am I missing some steps?
>         Do I also need to configure dialplan or any other file at
>         Kamailio load balancer? Or those two steps basically done it
>         all for simple load balancing configuration? Thanks for your
>
>     these steps are ok if you do not deal with NAT. If yes, then
>     things get a bit more complex, you need PATH support on load
>     balancer, but AFAIK, Asterisk does not support it -- maybe I am wrong.
>
>     Cheers,
>     Daniel
>
>     --
>     Daniel-Constantin Mierla