[Kamailio-Users] Architecture with load-balancing (dispatcher module)

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 13:47:08 CEST 2008

Hello,

a solution I am using is to do shared IP (vrrp/ucarp). The typical
scenario is active-backup, when one share IP is used.

But you can do active-active by using two shared IP addresses, so will be

server1: active_ip_1 - backup_ip_2
server2: backup_ip_1 - active_ip_2

So each server is active and backs-up the other. This can be scaled,
with more than 2 servers, you need an IP per server, and you will have a
chain of active servers backing up next one. Based on who is backing up
who, you may have one or more servers down without affecting the service

You have to take care of balancing the traffic among the IP addresses.

On 10/23/08 13:16, Alex Balashov wrote:
> Any "frontal application-level switch" would simply have the same liability.
>
> Kamailio is a very high-throughput proxy that can handle huge amounts of
> call setups per second.  I think you can count on that.
>
> Failing over around the load balancer node to a secondary load balancer
> or distributing the traffic among multiple load balancers is a job best
> left to the sending endpoint.  For example, a DID origination provider's
> switch or SBC can be set up to fail over calls to a different IP
> endpoint for your SIP trunk if no response is received within a certain
> amount of time.  That is how this is typically done.  At some point
> you've got to say that you've done all you can do, and it's up to the
> other side.
>
> Pascal Maugeri wrote:
>

>> Hi
>>
>> I was wondering how to achieve an architecture with two or more active
>> load-balancer nodes (kamailio+dispatcher module).
>>
>> I have read how to setup two dispatcher nodes, one node as a master and
>> the other one as a backup.
>>
>> The backup node doesn't process any traffic until master fails. But how
>> to make the traffic being processed by both load-balancers ? In the case
>> for instance the capacity of single node is not enough to process all
>> incoming traffic. Is there any recommended configuration (eg. using
>> frontal application-level swith)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Pascal

Daniel-Constantin Mierla