[Serusers] How to use SRV records

Martin Hoffmann hn at nvnc.de
Tue Nov 4 08:17:33 CET 2008

Someone beneath the blue sky wrote:

>   1. What prevents others from impersonating a new username in my
>   domain ? It seems that if somebody knows that mydomain.com has an
>   SRV record pointed to iptel.org, can create another username
>   (user02 at mydomain.com) and use it without my knowledge, what is worse
>   is that my DNS provider doesn't have any logging options for DNS
>   requests, so I'll never find out about it.

I don't know about iptel.org, but I would presume that there is a
mechanism that requires your approval if anyone creates addresses in
your domain.

If you were thinking about just using an address without explicitely
creating it first, like you usually do in Jabber, then this doesn't work
with iptel.org. The address has to be created and will then have a
password assigned to it. Without that password nobody can register for
your domain.

At least that is how it should be. I am no user of that service so can't
say for sure. It does have its own mailing list, though, I think.

Regards,
Martin