[Serusers] How to use SRV records

Someone beneath the blue sky z258_14 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 4 00:39:12 CET 2008

Hello all,

  I'm pretty new to the SIP world and appreciate if somebody can help me out.

  In the SerWeb login page I noticed a link "Have-My-Domain!", and it looks like that the result would be having something similar to email forwarding service. Suppose that I have my own domain (e.g. mydomain.com), and I have added an SRV record to it and pointed it to iptel's sip server. Then following the link I was able to create a new username (e.g. user01). Now based on what I've understood, whenever somebody calls the sip uri user01 at mydomain.com my soft phone that is registered with the above account should ring (my soft phone is using user01 for username, mydomain.com for server and iptel.org for registerar and it seems that it is registered without any problem).

  My questions:

  1. What prevents others from impersonating a new username in my domain ? It seems that if somebody knows that mydomain.com has an SRV record pointed to iptel.org, can create another username (user02 at mydomain.com) and use it without my knowledge, what is worse is that my DNS provider doesn't have any logging options for DNS requests, so I'll never find out about it.

  2. In my account in iptel ( user01 at mydomain.com ), there is another sip uri ( something like 123456 at mydomain.com ), which I guess is supposed to be used by somebody who uses a device without alphabets (for example if somebody wants to call me via sipbroker gateways), I've already tried *478 - 123456 ( *478 is the code for iptel), but it doesn't work and it goes to voice mail, how can I use sipbroker to call user01 at mydomain.com ?

  Thanks a lot in advance and sorry for the long message !
  Someone