[Serusers] SER performance bottleneck ?

Dragos Vingarzan Dragos.Vingarzan at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Mar 31 13:08:17 CEST 2008

That is something else. But Fang said "registered with only 1-2 users"
and not just proxy something. So I understood it like Alice, Bob
registered and then making the same Alice calls Bob thing 3000
times/second, which will probably end-up as being locked on Bob's lookup
in the registrar.

My point is: most of the time you have to generate realistic traffic in
order to see real performance. It is not realistic that Bob gets 3000
cps terminated to him... having a registrar that would scale properly
with the number of CPUs is overkill especially as this is not realistic.

-Dragos

Valentin Nechayev wrote:

>> Do you consider it realistic to produce load for millions of users with
>> just 1-2? I don't. What probably happens is that you get a lot of
>> inter-locking somewhere like in the registrar because you use just 2
>> users. So you could have 100 CPUs and gigs of RAM, but if you do not use
>> more users, it won't scale.
>>

>> I would say that you need to use ratios for calls/sec/users way smaller
>> than 1, while you now seem to be at about 1500 or so... This is highly
>> unrealistic and also not relevant.
>>

> This _is_ realistic in case SER is used as proxy on a path between
> e.g. vendor gateways. In that case it can have 0 (i.e. _zero_)
> "users" but thousands of calls per second.
> And, of course, this shall be relevant unless you're positioning
> it to "office PBX" which is definitely not direct SER niche.

Dipl. Eng. Dragos Vingarzan
Fraunhofer FOKUS/NGNI
Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 31
10589 Berlin,Germany
Phone +49 (0)30 - 3463 - 7385
Mobile +49 (0)176 - 48 32 16 00
Web www.fokus.fraunhofer.de www.openimscore.org
We could change the world if God would give us the source code...