[Serusers] Help with attended (consultative) call transfer problem

Steven C. Blair blairs at isc.upenn.edu
Wed Mar 12 18:23:50 CET 2008

Hello:

 We have been having persistent problems with consultative (attended) call transfer and I'd like to ask the list for some input.

 We have three Cisco 2821 gateways each with two PRIs connecting to Verizon Centrex service. The route advance sequence defined by Verizon results in all calls entering our VoIP environment entering via gateway #1. If no channels exist calls fail over to gateway #2 and finally #3.

 For load balancing purposes our SER 0.9.7-pre3 proxy will send outbound calls to gateway #3, then #2 and finally #1.

 We are using Cisco 79x0 phones running SIP load 7.3. All other types of calls including blind transfers work.

 Call transfers in which both call legs traverse the same gateway work. Only transfers where each call leg traverses different gateways fail. Given the inbound and outbound routing described above it is easy to see how most transfers fail.

 From a protocol perspective the transfer follows RFCs. I have ethereal traces if anyone needs them.

 Cisco has worked on this problem and is now suspecting that a transfer will only work if both call legs traverse the same gateway. It is unclear if this is technically correct, a configuration issue in our gateway or a mistake.

 To further complicate the issue calls from the PSTN, through a gateway to an IP phone which is transfers to another IP phone on the same proxy work. Failures only happen when the second call leg is to the PSTN and traverse a different gateway.

 Has anyone on this list seen this issue or have any input whatsoever?

Thanks,Steve

Senior Network Engineer,
Information Systems and Computing
Networking and Telecommunications , Suite 221A /6228
University of Pennsylvania
Voice:215-573-8396
FAX:215-898-9348