[Serusers] How to force IPtel.org SIP proxy not to include RTP proxy in Media path (achive peer-to-peer flow)

girish kumar girish_k78 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 4 14:12:03 CET 2008

Hi,

I have 2 SIP based softphones (Xlite) registered on
IPtel.org SIP service and testing the calls among
them. These 2 softphones are behind different NAT and
IPtel.org SIP proxy is replacing the SDP connection
details in Call setup message (Invite and 200 OK) with
RTPproxy IP/ports. Hence, RTPproxy is relaying the
Voice media stream among them during the call.

Although, both the softphones are behind different NAT
address but these are not Symmetric NATs and hence RTP
can directly flow between these softphone using STUN
discovery.

Is it possible to disable the RTP proxy behaviour of
IPtel.org SER server for these 2 softphones through
some configuration changes or any special header
parameter in call setup message?

In User Management web interface of IPtel.org, there
is a option to specify the connectivity realm for a
user account under My Account -> Other tab.

The description of this field is "connectivity realm -
behind the same NAT or possibility to communicate
directly". I believe this field is playing some part
in NAT transversal mechanism of Iptel.org SER
implementation.

Can anyone please describe the significance of this
user account parameter? Can it be used to disable NAT
transversal of media stream for some individual
clients? I tried putting in same value of this field
for 2 user accounts but Iptel.org SIP server still
proxied media stream between these 2 user accounts
through its RTP proxy.

Thanks in advance.
Girish