[OpenSER-Users] Cant connect to local MySQL server through socket

Megha Saini megs20 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 06:48:50 CET 2008

Hi,

I have installed OpenSER, openser-1.3.1-notls from:
http://openser.org/pub/openser/1.3.1/src/ on Fedora Core 8.

I have followed the steps given in:
http://www.openser.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/install:openser-from-svn
For the make command, I used: make install include_modules="mysql"

I have completed all the steps successfully. However, I am not able to
create database as said in step 7. To check that MySQL is working on my
system, I used the command: /etc/init.d/mysqld start
It says: Starting MySQL : [OK]

To check openser is running: I used the command, /etc/init.d/openser start
I get on command line: Starting openser: [OK]

However, when i try to create database:   /usr/local/sbin/openserdbctl
create
I get the error as:

database engine 'mysql' loaded
INFO: test server charset
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.socket' (2)
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.socket' (2)
Usage: egrep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
Try `egrep --help' for more information.
/usr/local/lib/openser/openserctl/openserdbctl.mysql: line 112: [: =: unary
operator expected
INFO: creating database openser ...
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.socket' (2)
ERROR: Creating core database and grant privileges failed!

I checked the file mysql.socket in /var/lib/mysql, there is only an empty
file with this name.
As seen in forums, I saw that many people have this file in /tmp/ folder.
However, I dont have this file there also!

I am unable to create the database and therefore I cannot register the
client using X-lite or SJPhone.

Kindly help me out with this. I am badly stuck with this problem since 3
days and have been looking in forums a lot. I am not getting any clue of how
to proceed further. Please help me out if anybody has any clue.

I look forward to this mailing list as my only help. I need to proceed
further as I have lot of things ot be done in this project and my deadline
is very near.

Looking forward to your co-operation.
Thanks in advance.
Megha