[Serusers] serctl in 2.0 rc1 appears to be obsolete

Martin Hoffmann hn at nvnc.de
Sat Jun 14 07:53:36 CEST 2008

x-ser at sidell.org wrote:
> Using the serctl that came with 2.0 rc1, I tried to add a user:
>
>     serctl add foo at directra.com asdf foo at bar
>
> and got these errors:
>
>    ERROR 1146 (42S02) at line 1: Table 'ser.subscriber' doesn't exist
>    error: 500 Command 'ul_show_contact' not found
>
> Browsing through the ser database, I see that there no longer is a
> ser.subscriber table, which explains the first error.

Correct. The serctl that comes with SER is still for the old 0.9
database. I think it isn't installed if you do a "make install"?

In any case. You want the new serctl which you can download at

   ftp://ftp.iptel.org/pub/serctl/daily-snapshots

That is a Python thing and installation may be a bit awkward. In my
case, Python didn't find the libraries when installed using "make install".
Someone should probably have a look at this. The easiest fix (though
probably not the correct one, was to copy
/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/serctl into
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages (given that my old RHES4 was still on
Python 2.3).

Then you can use ser_ctl. Note that this is a bit high level and tuned
for serweb. If you don't want that, you can use the low-level utilities
that have a name based on what they do, like ser_domain for adding
domains, ser_user for adding users, ser_cred for adding credentials, and
ser_uri for adding URI-to-user mappings.

ser_attr can be used for assigning attributes to users, domains, and
URIs. It does insist, though, that the attribute in question is listed
in the table attr_types. I have never bothered to figure out how you add
them there, so I always just put attributes into the database directly.

> If one were willing to poke values directly into the ser database
> tables, is there any documentation available for them?

Working on it. SER 2.1 will have man pages for the modules which among
other things will also explain the database tables used.

> Finally, am I on a fool's errand trying to use 2.0 rc1?  If so, would
> you all recommend going back to 0.9 or trying to use the latest stuff
> in cvs?

SER 2 has a couple of features that make life much easier. You can do a
lot of things in your ser.cfg that you had to write a module for
earlier. So, switching to 2.0 is definitely worth it. Plus, it can do
TCP and TLS properly which you may want to offer.

The official 2.0 release will appear really soon now. In the mean time,
you can use the latest CVS branch rel_2_0_0 or use the daily builds
from

   http://ftp.iptel.org/pub/ser/daily-snapshots/testing

There will be no major changes to the final release any more.

Best regards,
Martin