[Serusers] iptel.org: where do you go: SLAMP and "SIP Akamai"

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Sun Jul 6 18:19:11 CEST 2008

Bogdan Pintea wrote:
> Happy to see some wind in the sails again and very much welcome it.
>
> Jiri Kuthan wrote:
>> - BETA: Akamai-like services for selected hosted domains. Briefly, it
>> allows subscribers to be served by a server close to them. Particularly
>> beneficial for media relay.
>>
> This eye catcher is mentioned right from the subject, so, I can not help
> asking for more about it: is this really about distributing signaling
> nodes or just media ones? Some "brief extras" would be welcomed.

:-)

Well, at the moment, it is primarily focused on media -- I have been
less concerned with latency for signaling. In the heart of it, there is
anycast and an anycast-ready load-balancer. I have had the temptation to
try variation of the same for geographically dispersed SIP servers for
"super-availability", but haven't thought it through yet really.

First measurement results show that it works quite well. It doesn't get
you guarantee for the best service location, but it quite well
guarantees avoidance of the worst service location :-)

It is currently enabled for the domains ipteles.net and siptel.org, both
hosted by the iptel.org service.

-jiri