[OpenSER-Users] Failover using NAPTR/SRV

Tobias Lindgren tobias.lindgren at ip-only.se
Wed Feb 13 16:47:45 CET 2008

Hi all,

I've been trying to find this information but I cannot find any exact
specifications on how it really works.

 From what I know using NAPTR/SRV records with OpenSER will allow it to
find and use servers behind those DNS-records. This works just fine.

However, what I'm not sure about is what actually will happen in OpenSER
when one of two servers in this scenario would fail.

For example, I have two servers as SRV where one is primary and one is
secondary for SIP/UDP. What will happend in OpenSER when the primary
server is down? Will OpenSER continue to send all request first towards
that server or will it learn that one server is down and always send
requests to the second server for a period of time and try the primary
one just occassionally?

Please direct me to any page where this is explained in detail, if such
page exists.

Br,
/Tobias