[OpenSER-Users] newbie questions

Doug McLetchie dougmcletchieatwork at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 00:40:12 CET 2008

Hi all,

I've been reading through the documentation online fore a few days, and I've read through a lot of the user & developer artchives.  I'm trying to figure out if OperSER is the right proxy solution for the problem that I'm trying to solve.  I was hoping that I could get a few pointes from some more experienced users.

My first question is really simple... I must have the terminology wrong, otherwise I'm sure that I would have found the answer by now.  I have a big expensive gateway, but it can't do a few things that I really want to do.  I'm hoping to augment my big expensive gateway with OpenSER, so that I can do some specific routing.  I want my network to look something like this:

--------------

    (Public IP network)        (Private IP network)

 .----------.
 '----------'     |    .-----------.
                  '----| Big       |    .-------.
                       | Expensive |----| Proxy |
 '------'

my solution involves customer-premise based PBXs that my company makes in house. I want the gateway to act as a session border controller.  It'll take care of forwarding me media, and it'll take care of protecting my proxy from the public internet.

For inbound calls (calls coming from another carrier to my big expensive gateway & destined for a specific PBX),  I'd like my gateway to send the call to the proxy, who will determine which PBX to send the call to, and then send the call to to correct PBX via the Gateway.  I don't understand how to set up OpenSER to send the call via the Gateway.  If I provision the static ip address of the PBX in the proxy, won't it try to send directly to that IP address instead of sending it to the Gateway?  I think that the feature that I'm looking for is something like an outbound proxy, for the proxy. (does that make sense?)

Sorry to write such a long e-mail to the mailing list!  I wanted this to be descriptive enough that you all would know what I mean.

THANKS!

--Doug