[Kamailio-Users] Using a b2bua as a prepaid box

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 14:59:03 CET 2008

Hello,

On 12/22/08 15:24, Luciano Afranllie wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I am experimenting trying to build a prepaid solution using prepaid
> extension for RADIUS (IETF draft).
>
> My current test bed is Kamailio as SIP proxy/registrar, asterisk as
> PSTN gateway, sippy b2bua and a freeRadius server.
>
> What I am thinking about is to split users in groups (prepaid,
> postpaid and suspended, for example) and to send all calls from
> prepaid users to the b2bua. The b2bua will have the prepaid client
> logic to enforce balance usage and drop calls.
>
> I am new in this area so I will appreciate a lot your feedback about
> what is the best way to do this.
>
> - Regarding groups. Is it worth to use radius for this or can I just
> use kamailio groups?

it is up to you and what you are more confident in. From coherence point
of view, might worth to keep everything in Radius.

As personal preference, I use database mode (the group module).

> - Regarding sending prepaid users calls to b2bua. It is a nice
> solution in kamailio to check user group and if it belongs to prepaid
> group forward the call to b2bua and b2bua forward the call again to
> kamailio in order to make the final routing?

This is up to platform design. Never used  sippy b2bua to know what it
can do, but sometime you are constrained to come back to the proxy, if
the destination is behind the nat.

Another good thing with a b2bua behind the proxy is the ability to
protect it, a proxy is more lightweight and can handle easier security
attacks.

If behind the b2bua are trusted peers (e.g., gateways), then going from
proxy to b2bua and then to gateway will simplify the routing by removing
one hop in the signaling.

>  How should  I identify
> the call has already been sent to the b2bua and is coming again to
> kamailio, just using the source host, or there is a better way?

Source IP is a good option.

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
http://www.asipto.com