[Serusers] [Fwd: Re: domain name in route header]

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Tue Sep 25 00:35:31 CEST 2007

At 18:59 17/09/2007, Klaus Darilion wrote:
>forgot to cc the list ...
>
>-------- Original-Nachricht --------
>Betreff: Re: domain name in route header
>Datum: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 18:58:33 +0200
>Von: Klaus Darilion <klaus.mailinglists at pernau.at>
>An: Juha Heinanen <jh at tutpro.com>
>Referenzen: <18154.37441.743333.215104 at tutpro.com>
>

>Juha Heinanen schrieb:
>> klaus,
>>
>> if you want to support domains in route headers, then you need to do
>> naptr and srv lookups for the domain when handling loose routing.  it is
>> not enough to compare the domain to the ones domain module knows about.
>> domain in route header may namely be anything as long as it resolves to
>> your proxy.

well, if foo.bar decides to have the DNS name pointed to
IP address of a server which doesn't know about it, that
seems to me foo.bar's problem and I'm happy to leave it
there.

I don't see issues if the domain names are condigured in reasonable
administrative context though.

>  for this reason, i don't like the idea of domains in route
>> headers.  it hurts performance far too much.

Well I don't like the domain names in route header either, but I think the
question is how to deal with client that use it -- drop them on the floor?

>I also do not like to configure openser all possible hostnames as alias
>- but it is not uncommon that the SIP domain is in the pre-loaded route
>- at least most exosip based clients do that. Thus, having support for
>those clients is IMO useful.

I think configuring those domains using the domain module would work just
fine, only if the rr-module would leverage it :-) I think that should be
addressed. Sounds like something that should be filed on JIRA.

-jiri