[OpenSER-Users] A suggestion for 1.3 nathelper

Robert Dyck rob.dyck at telus.net
Sat Nov 24 00:13:51 CET 2007

When I started using openser I used a patched version of 1.0 nathelper. This
patch created two formats for fix_nated_contact. There was the original
format -- fix_nated_contact() and the new format  fix_nated_contact(1.2.3.4).

The original format appears to be useful for service providers. The new format
is useful when you are using openser as an ALG for a home or small office
phone system. The contact gets mangled before being sent to the registrar.

Because redoing the patch for each new version of openser that comes along is
silly, I had previously asked the list for an alternative. Someone suggested
using encode_contact from the mangler modules. This works but I think it is
sub-optimal when you have multiple phones with the same user name. Each one
creates its own contact with the registrar. The service providers server does
the forking and there is a lot of excess messaging with the INVITEs and
CANCELs when the call is answered by one of the phones. With
fix_nated_contact(1.2.3.4) there is only one location registered and the
local openser does the forking and the CANCELs are confined to the LAN.

Comments?
Rob