[Serusers] Technical board: Secret vs. public voting, suggested amendment to the rules

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Fri May 25 14:58:48 CEST 2007

Several people have on the lists and privately indicated their concern
about public voting and the risk that people may feel uncomfortable. I
have had several discussions privately on the issue and suggest the
following amendment to the rules for election of the technical board
(http://www.iptel.org/technicalboard/rules):

-------------------
- The parenthesis "(by posting to one of the lists)" is removed from
item 6.

New items:
9. Before nomination starts, a person and email address should be
identified publicly as the coordinator of the election process.
10. Nominations are suggested either publicly on one of the lists
identified in item 6 or privately to the coordinator. Each nominee must
accept the nomination in order to be electable.
11. Voting is done according to item 8 either by posting who are voted
for on one of the lists identified in item 6 or privately to the
coordinator.
12. Nominations and votes shall be anonymously posted to an iptel.org
webpage and kept updated regularly by the coordinator. The coordinator
shall keep all posts and private emails with votes as an assurance that
the result can be verified by a third party.
13. Voting shall be open for seven days.

I'm sorry this becomes elaborate, but I believe that by being very
explicit and detailed on the technical board, we may avoid trouble later.

Unless there are change suggestions, comments, or objections within the
end of the nomination (end of day Monday), I will amend the technical
board rules and proceed to the voting step.
g-)