[Serusers] Re: [Serdev] New search-page

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Tue Mar 27 16:12:05 CEST 2007

Greger V. Teigre wrote:
> Yes, this looks good.
> I agree with Jan that we maybe can simplify a bit. Here are some
> additional suggestions that you might want to consider:
> - Instead of having three panes, just link to the documentation. I think
> this makes it easier to get the iptel.org menus and context. People can
> decide themselves if they want to open a new tab, window or whatever
> using shortcuts in their browsers

  Yes, I agree. Simplicity is the key here.

> - Maybe name of entity and free text search could be merged into one?
> I'm not sure if we want to search across anything else than the name of
> function or param?

   No, search by name and version you are insterested in would be
   sufficient.

> - I think we can start with a web 2.0 app and then see if it makes sense
> to create something else or maybe just save static outputs that people
> can view

  What is web 2.0? Do you mean automatic updates through javascript? Do
  you think this is really necessary for something that simple?

> - I don't think we currently have any marks (#ref) in the html output of
> the module docs. But I assume the stylesheet can be adapted. Jan, is
> this possible?

  Yes, that's easy to do.

> - I don't think the app will be able to know if the documentation is
> missing. Only when following the link, the user will be brought to
> either just to the module doc or, with #refs, to the right location in
> module docs, and the user will discover that something is missing.
> So, I think we need a "Report missing or insufficient
> documentation"-link for each element in the table. Maybe that can be
> done by creating a form out of the table, a checkbox at the beginning of
> each row, a comment field at the bottom, and a "Submit missing or
> insuffient documentation report" button at the bottom
> - And finally, I disagree with Jan on the drupal integration. Maybe we
> will want to include searchable html docs as part of an install package,
> on another website, or we may (heavens no) switch system. I think we
> will be able to get the headers, menus etc the same way we have made the
> module docs (by embedding code as content on a drupal page). Integration
> is the root of all evil and the more independent we can make this, the
> better, IMHO

  Well, OK, then at least a php function which will return to the
  documentation for a particular function name and version would be
  nice.

     Jan.