[Users] memory issues

Daniel-Constantin Mierla daniel at voice-system.ro
Sun Mar 18 23:06:46 CET 2007

On 03/18/07 23:09, Christian Schlatter wrote:
> Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> that's the result of memory fragmentations, that should be the the
>> capacity of the server, should stay at that rate. Memory manager
>> allocates chunks of different sizes, but not merges then back by
>> default. However, it tries to avoid allocating small sizes -- you can
>> see in statistics used memory and real used sizes. The difference is
>> not used but should ensure that shared variables will not fragment
>> memory in small chunks.
>
> The memory statistics indeed show a high number of memory fragments:
>
> before 'out of memory':
>
> shmem:total_size = 536870912
> shmem:used_size = 59607040
> shmem:real_used_size = 60106488
> shmem:max_used_size = 68261536
> shmem:free_size = 476764424
> shmem:fragments = 9897
>
> after 'out of memory' (about 8000 calls per process):
>
> shmem:total_size = 536870912
> shmem:used_size = 4171160
> shmem:real_used_size = 4670744
> shmem:max_used_size = 68261536
> shmem:free_size = 532200168
> shmem:fragments = 57902
>

>> You can try to compile openser with -DQM_JOIN_FREE (add it in DEFS
>> variable of Makefile.defs) and test again. Free fragments should be
>> merged and fragmentation should not occur -- processing will be
>> slower. We will try for next release to provide a better solution for
>> that.
>
> Compiling openser with -DQM_JOIN_FREE did not help. I'm not sure how
> big of a problem this fragmentation issue is.
What is the number of fragments with QM_JOIN_FREE after flooding?
> Do you think it would make sense to restart our production openser
> instances from time to time just to make sure they're not running into
> this memory fragmentation limits?
The issue will occur only when the call rate reaches the limits of the
proxy's memory. Otherwise the chunks are reused. Transactions and avps
are rounded up to be sure there will be minimized the number of
different sizes for memory chunks. It wasn't reported too often, maybe
that's why no big attention was paid to it. This memory system is in
place since the beginning of ser. Alternative is to use sysv shared
memory, but is much slower, along with libc private memory manager.