[Users] Openser and Oracle

Christian Schlatter cs at unc.edu
Wed Mar 14 15:57:34 CET 2007

Papadopoulos Georgios wrote:
> Another issue that came up is the number of connections from Openser to
> the database. In our case, listening to five interfaces, with tcp
> disabled and children=5, we get 28 connections to DB which is a great
> waste of resources. From those five interfaces, one is receiving the
> bulk of traffic and the rest receive minimal traffic. Since each child
> has its own connection, then what is the purpose of connection pooling?
> How difficult would it be to have a common connection pool for all children?

I don't think that having 28 DB connections is a waste of resources, in
fact I think you will get better DB query performance using one DB
connection per openser worker process than using a DB connection pool.
Most databases including Oracle DB are optimized for concurrent access
using either a process or a thread pool, so why not take advantage of
that. And most DBs can easily handle at least 100 concurrent DB connections.

Christian