[Users] DB migration from 1.1 to 1.2

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Wed Feb 28 21:13:34 CET 2007

Hi,

today I uploaded on SVN trunk the new logic from migrating the existing
DBs from 1.1 format to 1.2. The strategy is different than in the
previous version.

The old "reinstall" proved to be suboptimal because of the lack of
flexibility and mainly it didn't provide a smooth transition (downtime
was required in order to swap the DBs, unsafe - data could be lost if
error occurred during reinstall - and data could be lost because of DB
changes).

A new approach was chosen this time - migration. A new DB is created in
parallel with the old one and data is processed and transferred into the
new DB via sql commands (and nor dumps), using strict mapping between
old and new columns. This way the original data is kept and complex
column renaming and data processing is possible (like lcr address for
example).

for the moment this migration is done only for mysql, but is possible to
do it for postgres also but as I'm not to much into, I will need some
help from some postgres guru ;).

in the mean while testing is welcomed ;)

regards,
bogdan