[Serusers] SIP Express Bundle - let's get started

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Mon Dec 10 07:46:26 CET 2007

This goes in on the top as a general comment to more than one person.

I agree that locking into one virtual imaging technology or format is
not a good thing when it comes to reaching as many people as possible.
Through the work on SER - Getting Started incl config files + the config
buildsystem + non-iptel.org work maintaing OS images, I have really
experienced the pain and costs of multi-option projects and how manual
operations explode in such a setting. I have thus started to hate
everything that cannot be scripted.

Hence, I have researched the various options we have and I believe we
have a possibility of scripting nearly everything we need, from the
installation of the OS through tailoring, iptel.org installations and
configurations. I post below a comment I added to the project page
(which I now have incorporated into the project page as "Scripted
installation").
g-)

I found a way to possibly automate and create Amazon ECC and vmware
images (possibly also xen) for both centos and ubuntu (if we want to).

Steps:

Use a linux vmware machine (with apt and/or yum installed).
Bootstrap a new OS installation into either a dd image or a physical
(empty) disk using the same principles found in the scripts used by
Rightscale (http://info.rightscale.com/content/rightimages-changelog,
btw, Rightscale, thanks for publishing the scripts!). Make sure that the
script has sections for installing both vmware tools and Amazon stuff
(with a selection), and Xen if needed.
Upload the image to Amazon S3 if that was the target
...or create vmdk file for vmware either by using qemu-img or
http://liveview.sourceforge.net/ or by simply run the whole process
inside a vmware virtual machine and not use dd, but a virtual disk as
target for the OS bootstrap (voila! you already have a vmdk file)
A dd image should also be easy to convert to Xen or even into a bootable
partition (I guess those who wants this know how to do it...)
The script bootstrapping the OS installation can also install and
configure all iptel.org software.  I believe that if we force ourselves
to put all steps into a script, we will benefit greatly the next time we
update the virtual machine, and the script itself documents all the
details of the virtual machine.