[Serusers] SIP Express Bundle ready-to-go idea, request for input

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Thu Dec 6 13:13:06 CET 2007

Greger V. Teigre wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I have been playing with the following idea:
> Create a ready-to-run OS image with everything that is needed for
> iptel.org apps pre-installed + a complete installation of:
> * SER 2.0 (release)
> * rtpproxy
> * SEMS
> * SERweb
> * maybe sipsak, some monitoring tools, etc
>

> The idea is to create a small script 'config_iptelorg' for configuring
> the installation to your needs.  You should then be able to download
> the ready image, boot it, go through the script and have an up and
> running iptel.org proxy and app server just like the iptel.org free
> SIP service in maybe 10-15 minutes. This way you could host a SIP
> service for your own domain with close to no setup at all.
>
> Some questions to you:
> * Is there any interest for this at all?
> * I was thinking about using Ubuntu 7.10 server as the OS. Any
> thoughts/preferences?
> * Should the image be an Amazon EC3 image (you could use
> http://www.rightscale.com and get it running in no time with 10
> run-hours free) or should it be a VMware appliance to be run with free
> VMware Player?
> * Other suggestions/comments?
>
> I could need some help with this, anyone interested in lending me a
> hand? (could be anything, documentation, testing, installation, etc)
> g-)

I think that's an absolutely wonderful idea, Greger. The BIGGEST
complaint we always hear about SER is that it's a very steep learning
curve to install and get up and running even in just a basic hello world
state. A ready-to-go install would do wonders for attracting more
developers/people to the community.

As for OS, I'd have to second CentOS/RHEL (same thing), since they're
probably the most prominent distributions for server OS. Since FC is,
for all practical purposes, a testbed for RHEL (which becomes CentOS),
most things that run on CentOS/RHEL should also run on FC with ease
(allowing for easy migration if one desires).

I've got a copy of VMware here I'd be happy to test with, as well as a
machine or two I could install upon.