[Serusers] SIP Express Bundle ready-to-go idea, request for input

Jeremy A jeremy at electrosilk.net
Thu Dec 6 07:46:18 CET 2007

Hello Greger,

My experience has been using VMware Server with a Centos 5.0 OS and SER.
It has been absolutely rock solid and is part of a production system. I
can thoroughly recommend it as a base.

VMWare server is always free and is available for Windows and Linux.
There is a good user community.

Many O/S have a common problem of a too fast release cycle. They are
(b)leeding edge and their stability and security is not guaranteed. On
the other hand Centos 5.0 is enterprise grade and runs a slow release
cycle that has thoroughly tested components.

Centos is also not so large as people make out. You can produce quite
usable uncompressed systems in the range of 500 Meg - Even smaller if
you get rid of atrocities like vi-enhanced at 30M, and emacs, and all
the regional stuff, and all the manuals and the hundreds of utilities
that would never be used on a production system. When you compress a
500M vmware system you can get download sizes of 100-200M. The system
will run fine in 256M of RAM.

Jeremy