[Serusers] register_udomain(): Invalid table version (use ser_mysql.sh reinstall)

sip sip at arcdiv.com
Fri Sep 15 17:11:45 CEST 2006

Heh, sorry, Greg.  It's only that particular module that I've grabbed from
OpenSER that I use in SER.

I've used SER all along. Although, don't get me wrong, there are many
occasions where I find myself wishing that feature X was available in SER (the
ability to use AVPs in the UAC module for instance, would be immensely handy).

If you have OpenSER running, and running well, there's not really any reason
to move back to SER at the moment.  In time, that may change, as the two paths
of development are just BEGINNING to diverge more than they had in the past.

But for now, if everything's working for you, you won't really GAIN anything
by moving to SER, and you're actually liable to lose a lot of functionality
that you may be used to.

I chose SER originally because OpenSER was just starting out and I wasn't sure
what sort of direction it would go or what sort of support it would have if I
needed it (we use SER in a production system for quite a great many users
worldwide, so I didn't want to have a product built and then suddently find
out there was no avenue for professional support should we need to spend the
money).

These days, it's really just a matter of preference. OpenSER releases versions
more often and has some handy features available. They're also quite good with
making documentation available. There is, however, concern among some that,
since there are more version releases, there's more a chance for instability.
SER releases versions VERY seldom and, overall, does NOT have anything
resembling good docs. It IS, however, rock solid stable in its current
release, and has many tried and true installations throughout the world using
it (SIPPhone/Gizmo project, FWD, IdeaSIP, etc).

This isn't to say that OpenSER is ACTUALLY any less stable. It's all a matter
of perception, really.

OpenSER and SER are NOW, however, in their more recent forms, becoming more
and more different in the basic underlying configurations. This may or may not
cause issues with migration, but it will almost certainly cause module
developers to end up having to pick sides on which code base to develop for...
and that could cause drastic differences in functionality.

I guess only the future will tell what's in store.

N.

N.

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 08:48:03 -0500, Greg Fausak wrote