[Users] Editing config makes openser unable to restart

Max Gregorian gregorian442 at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 11 02:43:48 CEST 2006

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Sometimes when I make some simple changes to the *openser.cfg* config file
and save, then restart openser using the *openserctl restart* or *stop* and
*start* commands, openser refuses to come back up with an error message,
usually along the lines of "openser already running?" or "openser.pid not
found" or something similar. I will see if I can find the exact wording of
the error messages and post them here.

I can then only get it running again by copying an old (working) config into
the directory and renaming it to *openser.cfg* then adding the entries back
again to the config and restarting the server.

Am I stopping and starting openser to quickly or something?

Other things I have tried include searching for running openser processes
and using *kill xx* or *killall openser* to manually terminate them, but no
running processes can be found, which makes me wonder why the error message
keeps saying openser is already running. Also *ps -ef* and other similar
commands are showing no running openser instances. *openserctl moni* says
cannot find pid or fifo (I forget which) and *openserctl ps* also gives some
error.

Sometimes when this happens I notice that the *openser.pid* file still
exists even though openser has stopped running.

Now I am wondering if it is something to do with the way openser parses the
script, or whether it's to do with the ssh program I use to remotely connect
to the openser server somehow not writing the file correctly when it saves.
In case it's relevant, I use WinSCP ver 3.8.2 to edit my configs.

Any ideas?