[Serusers] LCR & IP address handling 0.9.7-pre1

Judd Bourgeois simishag at gmail.com
Tue May 2 20:03:31 CEST 2006

I've got 0.9.7-pre1 running with the included LCR & mysql modules.  Am I the
only one who's annoyed at the handling of IP addresses in LCR?

First, I don't see why gw.ip_addr has to be an int. Is a varchar column for
the IP address really that much of a performance hit? Isn't there something
to be said for human readable and editable tables?

Second, if it has to be an unsigned int, shouldn't some attention be paid to
byte order? This module appears to assume that the IP address in the table
is in Intel byte order (little endian). This will break if the address is in
network byte order (big endian), as it would be if, for example, the MySQL
INET_ATON() function was used to convert an IP address to an int.

You can verify this with "serctl fifo lcr_dump" which will call print_gws,
which inexplicably does a homegrown IP address decode, instead of calling
the appropriate C library functions to convert IP addresses into proper byte
order.