[Serusers] Mediaproxy load balancing

samuel samu60 at gmail.com
Tue May 2 10:54:42 CEST 2006

In the mediaproxy there's a nice README describing this. I'll try to
make a short summary:

SER machine:
you have to set mediaproxy to act as a dispatcher for the domain name
you want to use as the "mediaproxies domain". The mediaproxy.ini
should be something like:

[Dispatcher]
start = yes
socket = /var/run/proxydispatcher.sock
group = ser
defaultProxy = domain://somecompany.com
[MediaProxy]
start=no

This would instruct the mediaproxy dispatcher colocated to the SER
instance to make DNS queries for the domain somecompany.com.

Next step is to configure DNS server to provide somecompany.com SRV
queries (next lines should be included in your zone file):

_mediaproxy._tcp    IN  SRV  0  25  25060 mediamachine1
_mediaproxy._tcp    IN  SRV  0  25  25060 mediamachine2
_mediaproxy._tcp    IN  SRV  0  50  25060 mediamachine3
_mediaproxy._tcp    IN  SRV  10  50  25060 mediamachine11
_mediaproxy._tcp    IN  SRV  10  50  25060 mediamachine12

                                               ;INSERT the IPs of
every mediamachine
mediamachine1        IN      A       192.168.1.1
mediamachine2        IN      A       192.168.1.2
mediamachine3        IN      A       192.168.1.3
mediamachine11      IN      A       192.168.1.11
mediamachine12      IN      A       192.168.1.12

Last thing is to configure mediaproxy.ini in the mediamachines to
accept mediaproxy queries from the SER machine and to start
mediaproxy:

[Dispatcher]
start = no
[MediaProxy]
start=yes
allow=whateveryouthingyoushouldpoutinhere

Hope it helps,

Samuel.