[Serusers] Usrloc performance

Teemu Harju teemu.harju at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 11:08:38 CET 2006

Hi, Michael

You're right. Why didn't I think of that. :)

I also got instructions from OpenSER mailing list to increase the size of
the hash table by modifying the source of the usrloc, since I'm using so
many users.

Thanks for your comments. I'll report back what were the results with these
modifications.

- Teemu

2006/3/10, Michal Matyska <michal at iptel.org>:

> This seems to me quite understandable, the time is consumed while locating
> the
> usrloc entry. Try to change the "SEQUENTIAL" order to "RANDOM" in the
> SIPP injection file, I suppose you'd then get what you expected, equal CPU
>
> usage during all the time the test runs. If not, please post it again.
>
> Michal
>

> On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 09:57:36AM +0200, Teemu Harju wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I posted about this same subject to openser mailing list already, but
> since
> > I haven't had response from there I'll try here. I guess the usrloc
> module
> > and the core functionality is quite the same with ser and openser.
> >
> > I've been running some performance tests on my OpenSER box and while
> > registering large number of users I faced some very strange problems. At
> > least they seem strange to me, but I hope someone on this list would be
> able
> > to shed some light on this.
> >
> > So, I use Openser 1.0.1 and I load test it using SIPp. I've done tests
> > creating about 1000 registrations per second registering 300k-450k
> different
> > users. Register rate is constat and for each register different user is
> > used. What is strange to me that just about when 300k users have
> registered
> > the CPU of the PC running the proxy hits 100% usage and messages start
> > dropping. I made a nice image to illustrate my problem using Excel.
> Check it
> > at
> http://www.teemuharju.net/wp-images/register_300k_users_at_1000rps.png.
> >
> > On this test I registered 300k different users at 1000 RPS and after
> > registering those users the registering starts again from the beginning.
> As
> > you can see from it the CPU usage rises constantly and drops immediately
> > after I've registered 300k users and the registering starts again from
> the
> > start. So then each user is being registered all over again, but still
> the
> > CPU load grows. Does anyone have explanation for this? Why does the CPU
> > usage grow based on the number of users registered? And why does it drop
> for
> > a while when registering starts all over again? I've tried different
> usrloc
> > modes, but there seems to be no difference. This one was done with
> having
> > usrloc only in the memory. Shouldn't the CPU usage at constant register
> > rate, be somewhat constant also? Has anyone else noticed the same
> problem?
> > Could this be somehow explained or do I have something wrong with my
> system?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Teemu
> >
> > --
> [...]