[Serusers] Mediaproxy has nothing to do with codecs..

Nick Hoffman nick.hoffman at altcall.com
Thu Jun 22 03:01:19 CEST 2006

On Thu June 22 2006 06:46, Dave <ddx66 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Can someone please clarify whether the statement in
> Subject is correct? Does mediaproxy not simply take a
> RTP stream and "proxy" it in both directions without
> really caring about codecs? Codec negotiation is done
> between endpoints and mediaproxy does not come in the
> picture.
>
> If the above is true, does it mean that if two SIP
> user agents support video and we use mediaproxy, it
> won't be an issue?
>
> Please educate me the what if any relationship
> mediaproxy has with codecs...
>
> Dave

Hi Dave. Mediaproxy doesn't modify data streams (audio, video, etc). It
simply passes them through, helping NAT'd clients properly receive the
streams. Thus, mediaproxy doesn't care which codec(s) you use.

Cheers,
-- Nick
e: nick.hoffman at altcall.com
p: +61 7 5591 3588
f: +61 7 5591 6588

If you receive this email by mistake, please notify us and do not make any
use of the email.  We do not waive any privilege, confidentiality or
copyright associated with it.