[Serusers] decoding g729 encoded rtp streams

Andres andres at telesip.net
Mon Jul 24 19:17:48 CEST 2006

İlker Aktuna (Koç.net) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the information.
> Actually, I downloaded it but couldn't find how to export rtp payload.
> Does rtpdump read capture files recorded with Ethereal/tcpdump ?
> (in which format should I save the file?)
>
> Btw, there is a Windows sniffer named "Cain & Abel" this one decodes g729.
>
> Thanks,
> ilker

First you export the RTP data from within Ethereal like this:
1.  Open Capture
2.  Click on Analyze->Statistics->RTP Streams->Show All
3.  Select the stream you want to export
4.  Click 'Save As'
5.  Then feed that file into rtpdump like the below example 'trace.rtp'.

Here is the command line:
rtpdump -F payload -f trace.rtp -o file.out

file.out will contain just the payload which can then be decoded.

--
Andres
Technical Support